[Catalyst] Re: Catalyst, utf8 in form element type text - Solved

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Tue May 6 17:43:22 BST 2008

On Tue, May 06, 2008 at 09:04:38AM +0200, Aristotle Pagaltzis wrote:
> * Bill Moseley <moseley at hank.org> [2008-05-05 21:40]:
> > <form> tags should have accept-charset
>
> Browsers tend to ignore that and send the form data in the same
> encoding as the page that the form was on.

"Browsers" is a bit general.

Yes, IE will use the HTTP Content-Type header over accpet-charset in
the <form> tag (and over any <meta> tag as well).

Firefox 2 will use accept-charset (even if its different from the
HTTP charset).  So, it's good to have an accept-charset and make sure
it matches the page's Content-Type charset.

At least, that's how I remember it.

> other screwy things. Overall this is an area of much hatefulness.
> For best results, <http://search.cpan.org/perldoc?Encode::HEBCI>
> is the way to go. But most of the time it’s overkill, since once
> you get your pages to be served as UTF-8 properly, you can pretty
> much forget the issue.

That's what I do -- I set the Content-Type, meta http-equiv,
and accept-charset on the form all to utf-8.  Any browser that screws
that up likely isn't supported in other ways, too.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org