[Catalyst] IMPORTANT: To all Catalyst::Whatever Authors, please read and ACT

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Sun May 11 15:29:20 BST 2008

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 07:16:44PM -0700, Ashley wrote:
> On May 10, 2008, at 6:44 PM, Matt S Trout wrote:
> >On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 05:56:41PM -0700, Ashley wrote:
> >>Arguing that users who cargo-cult their configs from POD deserve
> >>coddling and MODULE AUTHORS MUST ACT TO AVERT THIS DISASTER is silly.
> >
> >There are several requests A DAY on #catalyst that come down to YAML
> >indentation mistakes.
> >
> >If users are clearly repeatedly not getting this, it's time to
> >change stuff.
> >
> >If we do a 5.71 I think the catalyst.pl default should change then,
> >and
> >then after a few months we file bugs against every distribution still
> >using YAML examples instead of code and/or .conf.
>

> As I said, I'm all for more examples and even volunteered to write a
> script to make it easy to sync them. It wouldn't be much fun to be
> actively disallowed from using the example that I am going to
> want to see or stub from when I run perldoc. I like helping others
> but I write code primarily for myself. I know you don't like YAML,
> Matt, but I do. I don't see that having a best practice of ... top 3?
> configs is incompatible with the stated goal.

If you know YAML well enough to use it, you can translate the perl configs
anyway.

We had a week-long debate about config formats and the decision seemed to be
that C::G was going to be the default going forwards. The idea is the perl
config is the key one and the 'default conf format' example is to help
newbies.