[Catalyst] How to build a catalyst system based on plug in ?

Zbigniew Lukasiak zzbbyy at gmail.com
Tue May 27 08:03:00 BST 2008

I think this is an interesting subject  - but first we need to nail
down what we meen by plugins.  If all you need is adding some CRUD
functionality to a database table - then you might read the CRUD
thread somewhere in the archives - in short it should be possible to
add add or delete tables from a CRUD editor with minimal hassle -
because the operations are quite uniform.  But what I would like to
see is a plugin solution to higher level issues - functionalities in
the application layer - like a 'tagging' plugin (that would add some
search options, and display tags etc), 'comment' plugin (that would
let the public to comment on some 'articles' in the database) etc.
The problem here is that they are cross-cutting - that is they require
additions in all model, controller and view.

Cheers,
Zbigniew

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 4:42 AM, Solli Honorio <shonorio at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi John, thanks for your attention and my apologize for the first email.
> Re-reading I could see now that the email was looking like a newbie asking
> for 'to do my homework', and definitively this was not my intention. My
> apologize.
>
> Maybe the right question would be 'if someone known/had a catalyst system
> extensible by plug ins' that I could study to check how they solve a fill
> problem that I'm looking for to be solved.
>
> I know how plugins works, the deferents technique to load plugins and share
> information, and I had read the 'Writing Pluggable Software', from Tatsuhiko
> Miyagawa, and 'Build Easily Extensible Perl Programs', from Ask Bjorn
> Hansen. I've test the Module::Pluggable::* and Class::Trigger on a simple
> enviroment of concept and test (and know i'm starting looking into
> Catalyst::Plugin::Pluggable). But I'd like to try to use the 'pluggable
> software' with Catalyst on a way that the user could extend the system
> without worry about on the which the DBMS the system are running, or have to
> know a lot of catalyst, or a single way to include something on a web
> interface.
>
> And finally the idea of this software isn't to be a nagios concurrent or
> something like, but a interface to manage the configuration file of the
> linux systems. Than I'm talking about to do a config parse and update this
> config file on a simple and controled way.
>
> Again, my apologize for the fist email. I had never had the intention on
> something like 'do my homework', but just if someone here had knowledge with
> plugin on a catalyst system that could share me how this kind of system
> could work on a MVC enviroment.
>
> Thanks all
>
> Solli M. Honorio
>

> 2008/5/22 John Napiorkowski <jjn1056 at yahoo.com>: