[Catalyst] Simple caching question

Jesse Sheidlower jester at panix.com
Fri Nov 7 13:49:26 GMT 2008

On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 05:09:55PM -0700, Jason Kuri wrote:
>> Given how light my requirements are--the app's been chugging
>> along fine for years without any caching--I don't think I need
>> to bother putting another app into the mix. The memory
>> requirements for Memcached don't worry me--the server never
>> goes down, and even if it did, another round of database
>> retrievals wouldn't hurt anybody--but if it's something that
>> needs managing, I'll just go with FastMmap and see how that
>> works.
>
> Hi Jesse,
>
> Allow me to point you to this:
>
> http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2007/11
>
> That article shows how to make your app cache friendly.  Using an
> external cache engine is probably the shortest path to caching on your
> site, and as the article points out, it's quite easy to add to your
> app.  Quite a bit easier, IMHO, than using memcache, etc.

Thanks, Jay. I did see this, but given how minimal my needs
are, it did seem a lot simpler just to throw PageCache at it,
add a few lines to the config, and walk away. I don't need an
external cache, really.

I may have an app in the future that will benefit from this.

If I can figure out the Config::General problem, I think I'll
be on my way!

Best,

Jesse