[Catalyst] OT: Use the CPAN, Luke?

Toby Corkindale toby.corkindale at strategicdata.com.au
Sun Nov 30 23:35:38 GMT 2008

Lars Balker Rasmussen wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 03:55:54AM +0100, Aristotle Pagaltzis wrote:
>> Case in point, Mouse is essentially Moose Light. Since Catalyst
>> itself is becoming Moose-based, is there *any* reason to use
>> Mouse instead? I suppose if it automatically stubs itself into
>> a Moose loader where Moose is available, that would be not *too*
>> bad, but it???s still a pointlessly added dependency.
>
> While Data::Visitor depends on Mouse, it actually uses Squirrel (which
> is in the Mouse dist), which will fall back to the Moose already loaded
> by Catalyst.  I assume most Mouse-users are smart enough to do this.
>
> And Data::Visitor isn't just for Catalyst-use, so our problem isn't theirs.

It kind of is still our problem, since if one writes an application for
Catalyst, one hopes that the intended users can easily install it..
which they can't on supposed "Stable" Linux installs, using Debian,
RHEL, etc.

If the automated install fails, people are likely to say "bah, this Perl
thing sucks, let's go for that similar app written in PHP/Java/Ruby
instead - at least it's simple to install!"

PAR goes a little way to solving this, but then one needs to distribute
multiple versions for all the platforms you support, and hope they have
a decent PAR version too. (Again, Debian stable has issues.)

Toby