[Catalyst] Re: OT: Use the CPAN, Luke? (was: Catalyst install failure due to Mouse.pm on Debian Etch)

Aristotle Pagaltzis pagaltzis at gmx.de
Sun Nov 30 08:56:39 GMT 2008

* Lars Balker Rasmussen <lars at balker.dk> [2008-11-28 10:20]:
> While Data::Visitor depends on Mouse, it actually uses Squirrel
> (which is in the Mouse dist), which will fall back to the Moose
> already loaded by Catalyst. I assume most Mouse-users are smart
> enough to do this.

Yeah, that’s the least bad constellation.

> And Data::Visitor isn't just for Catalyst-use, so our problem
> isn't theirs.

No, it still is a problem for Catalyst app users, because it
still does add a point of potential installation failure. Of
course the fact that this is caused by Data::Visitor rather than
directly by Catalyst::Action::RenderView means there isn’t any
easy answer. But it doesn’t change the conclusion that gluing
together modules not designed with each other in mind has
solid downsides for… parsimony in a general sense.

Hrm. It bugs me that no good strategy for dealing with this is
apparent.

Regards,