[Catalyst] How to use self made Template Toolkit plugins?

J. Shirley jshirley at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 16:55:14 BST 2008

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 5:39 AM,  <kakimoto at tpg.com.au> wrote:

> hi there
>  i am thinking of writing some template toolkit plugins for use within
> my *.tt2 files.
>
> I read the Template toolkit book but of course, this is catalyst so some
> things (ie configuration) is different

Not really, the hash that is passed into MyApp->config->{'View::TT'}
is passed into TT's ->new, so it is just plain old config.  Your
question is also exclusive to Catalyst::View::TT, which is a very
brief RTFS: http://search.cpan.org/src/MRAMBERG/Catalyst-View-TT-0.27/lib/Catalyst/View/TT.pm

That should allow you to figure out how the TT object is being created.

> 1) how do I tell my *.tt2 file that a certain template is to be found in
> a certain location?

As documented in Catalyst::View::TT, you just add entries into INCLUDE_PATH
MyApp->config(
            INCLUDE_PATH => [
              MyApp->path_to( 'root', 'src' ), # root/src
              MyApp->path_to( 'root', 'lib' ),  # root/lib
            ],
    }
);

> 2) where is the best place (based on best practices) to store the plugin
> files for TT2?

The same way every other plugin works.  Code it like it is going on
CPAN, and install it - extra points for using local::lib for your
dependencies, too, so you have a separation from your system's site
perl.

-J