[Catalyst] Simplified auth configuration - input requested

Jason Kuri jayk at ion0.com
Mon Oct 20 18:55:29 BST 2008

Hi All,

Some folks have mentioned recently that the
Catalyst::Plugin::Authentication system while being quite flexible is
somewhat difficult to understand / set up initially.

I am soliciting comments regarding the issues that people have had and
what changes people would like to see.   Better messaging, differences
in config format... whatever you are interested in, speak up.  I'm
going to take the input I receive in this thread into consideration as
I do some updates to the modules over the coming weeks.

I'm not promising a rewrite of the auth module by any stretch, but I
would like to know the 'gotchas' that people have encountered, and any
areas that folks feel could be improved.

Note that I'm talking about the core Catalyst::Plugin::Authentication
module - not the various (separately packaged) credentials, stores,
etc.  The exception to that is the DBIx::Class store - since I
maintain that and I think it's also the one that is most often used,
feel free to chime in with your complaints / concerns there.

One of the things that I am planning to do is to create a 'simpledb'
pre-packaged realm - that will make the 'normal' case of encrypted
password + DB user storage a bit simpler to config.   (For those who
are interested, pre-packaged realms are simply replacement realm
classes which can handle configuring their store / credential on their
own... which allows for drastically simplified Cat configs)  If anyone
has comments on what a 'simple config' might look like, let's hear them.

So, all that said, If you feel like there are improvements you'd like
to see, simplifications to be made, etc... now is your chance.  Speak
now or expect a good solid ignore when I'm done and you say 'but I
wanted....'  ;-)

JayK