[Catalyst] Simplified auth configuration - input requested

Devin Austin devin.austin at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 19:12:55 BST 2008

Hi Jay,

I've noticed in the tutorial at least the commenting obscures some of the
actual configuration.  It's not  a huge deal if you're following the
tutorial completely but for instance I looked it up really quick to get an
idea of the new Authentication set up and noticed that I had removed the
password_field: hashed configuration parameter. This caused a small period
of headaches, but after comparing it to an older configuration file, I was
able to fix it.

Those are my $0.02 for now.  ::SimpleAuth seems to be going in the right
direction, however it also seems to take away ACL/Roles.  I would think it
would be cool to see a bridge/median between the two.

-Devin

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 12:08 PM, Jason Kuri <jayk at ion0.com> wrote:

> Also - before I forget - I am interested in hearing about any errors /
> configs that were broken, but produced confusing and/or unhelpful
> messaging about why they were broken.
>
> Jay
>

> On Oct 20, 2008, at 11:55 AM, Jason Kuri wrote:
>
>  Hi All,
>>
>> Some folks have mentioned recently that the
>> Catalyst::Plugin::Authentication system while being quite flexible is
>> somewhat difficult to understand / set up initially.
>>
>> I am soliciting comments regarding the issues that people have had and
>> what changes people would like to see.   Better messaging, differences
>> in config format... whatever you are interested in, speak up.  I'm
>> going to take the input I receive in this thread into consideration as
>> I do some updates to the modules over the coming weeks.
>>
>> I'm not promising a rewrite of the auth module by any stretch, but I
>> would like to know the 'gotchas' that people have encountered, and any
>> areas that folks feel could be improved.
>>
>> Note that I'm talking about the core Catalyst::Plugin::Authentication
>> module - not the various (separately packaged) credentials, stores,
>> etc.  The exception to that is the DBIx::Class store - since I
>> maintain that and I think it's also the one that is most often used,
>> feel free to chime in with your complaints / concerns there.
>>
>> One of the things that I am planning to do is to create a 'simpledb'
>> pre-packaged realm - that will make the 'normal' case of encrypted
>> password + DB user storage a bit simpler to config.   (For those who
>> are interested, pre-packaged realms are simply replacement realm
>> classes which can handle configuring their store / credential on their
>> own... which allows for drastically simplified Cat configs)  If anyone
>> has comments on what a 'simple config' might look like, let's hear
>> them.
>>
>> So, all that said, If you feel like there are improvements you'd like
>> to see, simplifications to be made, etc... now is your chance.  Speak
>> now or expect a good solid ignore when I'm done and you say 'but I
>> wanted....'  ;-)
>>
>> JayK

>> Searchable archive:
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/catalyst@lists.scsys.co.uk/