[Catalyst] Simplified auth configuration - input requested

Octavian Rasnita orasnita at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 19:36:26 BST 2008

From: "Jason Kuri" <jayk at ion0.com>
> Hi All,
>
> Some folks have mentioned recently that the
> Catalyst::Plugin::Authentication system while being quite flexible is
> somewhat difficult to understand / set up initially.
>
> I am soliciting comments regarding the issues that people have had and
> what changes people would like to see.   Better messaging, differences
> in config format... whatever you are interested in, speak up.  I'm
> going to take the input I receive in this thread into consideration as
> I do some updates to the modules over the coming weeks.

Hi,

I also had problems when I tried to create a new application that uses the
new interface for authentication.

I had those problems, because I always create the DBIC classes using the
DBIC::Schema helper, and the helper didn't create the following accessor in
the User.pm class:

__PACKAGE__->many_to_many(roles => 'user_roles', 'id_role');

so the authentication used to work, but not the authorization.

I use a MySQL database, with InnoDB tables and constraints set to relevant
fields. I don't know if the Catalyst helper should create the many_to_many
accessor but for some reasons it didn't do it, or I must created manually,
but in the second case the POD docs should make this clear.

Also it could be very helpful a tipical example of using a DBIC store with 3
tables: user, user_role and role for authorization and authentication.

Octavian