[Catalyst] Pushing data to Catalyst powered web page

Moritz Onken onken at houseofdesign.de
Fri Sep 12 13:48:17 BST 2008

> Good afternoon all
>
> I am busy with a project where I need to read an RFID tag, get the
> data
> associated with the tag and then push the data to a web page for a
> security person to monitor.
>
> I can successfully read the tag by using LogicAlloy's ALE server. It
> then calls my Catalyst application at http://localhost/ale/notifier :
>
> sub notifier : Private {
> 	my ( $self, $c ) = @_;
>
> 	#$c->stash->{template} = 'notifier.tt2';
> 	$c->stash->{tagdata} = $c->request->params->{tagdata};
> 	open (TagData, '>C:\Eclipse Projects\Asset
> Tracker\AssetTracker\lib\AssetTracker\tagdata.txt');
> 	print TagData $c->request->params->{tagdata};
> 	close TagData;
>
> }
>
> As you can see I do not get the associated tag data yet, I am just
> trying to display the tag data received from the ALE server.
>
> I can see that the data is coming through correctly by monitoring the
> console debug and checking the tagdata.txt file.
>
> The problem that I have is that I have no idea how to push the data
> to a
> web page instead of pulling.

Hi,

you might want to have a look at http://meteorserver.org/. This server
pushes data to a client via a persistent http connection. To handle
such things with catalyst is not a very good idea. the ALE server will
talk to the meteor server and not the catalyst application.

If you do not need realtime push you could reload a catalyst page
every x seconds.

This page opens the file tagdata.txt and prints its content. Add a
html meta tag to reload the page every x seconds.

moritz