[Catalyst] Search example in any docs?

Jesse Sheidlower jester at panix.com
Wed Sep 24 15:00:48 BST 2008

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 05:45:17PM -0700, J. Shirley wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 4:34 PM, Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum
> <bg271828 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >

> > Thanks. I do appreciate this, and its a neat solution, but the problem wasnt that i dont know how to put common elements in a base class, the
> > problem is that nowhere in the Cat docs, formal or informal, are there any examples of doing searches with web apps.
> >

> Right, because any solution would be model specific.  Which puts it in
> the realm of wiki nodes or CatalystX modules that profess preference
> for an ORM model.

[...]

> Wiki!  Wiki!  Document what you've done and post on here.  Wiki nodes
> are a living document and can evolve with time and evolve into better
> solutions.
>
> What you're asking for is more a model, though, not Catalyst (which is
> just a framework, no more, no less).

I'm about to get on a plane now, but I did want to comment on this
thread, as someone at least theoretically concerned with the docs.

Though there have now been several responses along
J. Shirley's lines, I have to say that I agree with the OP
here. It doesn't matter if a search-generation routine is tied
to one or another ORM, it should be documented somewhere, as
this is a very common task. The docs are very heavily tied to
specific elements--most of them assume you're using DBIC; the
Tutorial shows the use of DBIC and FormFu; everything shows TT
views, etc. If you're using the Rose modules for your DB
layer, there's a lot less in the docs; if you're using DFV for
forms (as I do) there's not much there; etc. So there's no
reason that search can't also be demonstrated using DBIC.

So I don't think that showing a basic search example using
DBIC would somehow violate the idea of Catalyst-as-framework.
I hope the OP does document her ideas on the wiki, and it would
be nice if Zbigniew does exend the Advent article. But a short
addition to the Tutorial showing a simple search, or a Cookbook
entry on this, would, I think, be a Good Thing.

Jesse Sheidlower