[Catalyst] PayPal (and others) integration

Edmund von der Burg edmund.vonderburg at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 09:23:54 GMT 2009

2009/4/9 J. Shirley <jshirley at gmail.com>:
> Your mistake is thinking this is a controller, when in fact it is a model
> class and has absolutely no relation to Catalyst :)

I beg to differ.

When something happens on PayPal then can hit a location on your site
to inform you of this. Usually the url would be something like:

  http://myapp.com/ipn

Your app then needs to confirm the request back to PayPal to check
that it is legit.

This makes me think that a controller is needed - perhaps I am wrong?

more details: https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=developer/e_howto_html_IPNandPDTVariables

Cheers,
  Edmund

> What you want is a set of simple model classes (nothing more than
> Catalyst::Model::Adaptor, it's on CPAN) that wraps your
> (Google::Checkout|Business::PayPal) models.
>
> Your controller should simply delegate to the model based on user input, and
> nothing more.
>
> Remember: cgi-lib.pl was glue for web 1.0, Catalyst is glue for web *.0.

All too well :)

Cheers,
  Edmund.