[Catalyst] PAR file - can't build it . Prolly documentation is out of date?

kakimoto at tpg.com.au kakimoto at tpg.com.au
Fri Apr 17 02:21:17 GMT 2009

Quoting Tomas Doran <bobtfish at bobtfish.net>:

> On 16 Apr 2009, at 06:57, kakimoto at tpg.com.au wrote:
>

> > Hi there,
> >  I refered to http://catalyst.infogami.com/cookbook/par. I can't
> > seem to
> > find the line,
> > "catalyst_files();".
>
> I don't know what you're talking about - as that phrase isn't
> mentioned anywhere in that document.

K. akimoto:  It is there. Please look under the title, "Add these lines
to Makefile.PL (below "catalyst_files();")".

> >   How do you guys get your PAR files made?
>
> We don't. PAR isn't a recommended deployment method these days.

K. akimoto:  Really?? i would really suggest someone to the mention of
it out of the Catalyst cookbook in
http://search.cpan.org/~hkclark/Catalyst-Manual-5.7020/lib/Catalyst/Manual/Cookbook.pod#Quick_deployment:_Building_PAR_Packages.

> > I assume that par files will get the new server which I want to
> > install
> > my application to launch CPAN shell to install the extra modules
> it
> > needs?
>
> No. This idea of a PAR file is that it contains all the dependencies
>
> already.
>
> The recommended solution is to build a local::lib with all your
> dependencies in, and keep this in revision control / ship it with the
>
> rest of your application.

 k.akimoto: I like this idea! Damn, should have considered this earlier.
Ah well, i will save it for my next projects.