[Catalyst] PAR file - can't build it . Prolly documentation is out of date?

Jonathan Rockway jon at jrock.us
Wed Apr 22 19:07:43 GMT 2009

* On Thu, Apr 16 2009, James R. Leu wrote:
> I must have missed the memo about PAR not being recommend.  Is there a
> discussion thread I can read about it?

I think this is just t0m's personal opinion.

Anyway, the code for catalyst_par is very very flaky.  Keep this in mind
as you use it.  If the PAR you produce works, it will work, and it's a
good way to deploy.  If it doesn't work, then some hacks are needed to
get it working.  I plan on improving this situation in the future,
although in a somewhat roundabout way (so it's not going to be fixed
next week, but maybe next year).  The basic idea is to start the
application to the point where it is about to serve a request, snapshot
%INC, and then use that as the list of modules to bundle.  This fixes
most cases of lazy-loaded modules not being bundled with the PAR, but
not all of them.  (Another option that I have not tried is to not
auto-detect which modules to load, and instead take them from the
Makefile.PL.  That way, if a module is not available, It's Your Fault™.
You can emulate this behavior with the existing code, however.)

Oh yeah, I am also thinking of ways to bundle your test suite with the
PAR, and easily run them from the deployed PAR.  That will alleviate
many of my PAR deployment worries.

(Ping me on IRC for more details, or see
http://github.com/jrockway/moosex-runnable )

Regards,
Jonathan Rockway