[Catalyst] RFC: Sample press release and announcement homepage

Ian Wells ijw at cack.org.uk
Fri Apr 24 10:40:35 GMT 2009

2009/4/23 John Napiorkowski <jjn1056 at yahoo.com>:
> And in particular my first swing at something we can use as a press release and send
> to all the usual suspect (Slashdot, Digg, etc):
> http://dev.catalystframework.org/wiki/releaseannouncements/58pressrelease

Doesn't work for me.

I'm coming from someone who found out about Catalyst only a month or
two ago, which is roughly equivalent to the background knowledge of
the people you're talking to here.  You're introducing the buzzwords
'Catalyst' and 'Moose' as if people should (a) know what they are
already or (b) take it on trust that they're great and they need to
find out.  Moose can be a selling point to people who know what it is,
but to people who don't, you're saying 'now with extra Omega-17!'

You have to have an answer to the question 'if it's so great why have
I never heard of it before?'  Particularly since the people you're
aiming at (/. and digg readers) are exactly the people who judge the
merits of something based on how much they hear about it.

Of what you have, I'd go with an argument structure like:

- here's Catalyst
- it's great (despite the fact you've never heard of it)
  * it's different to other frameworks
  * it's good that it's in Perl
  * it's actively developed
  * it's been widely adopted
  * it's proven in use

(Also, iPlayer is a strong selling point.  Don't hide it behind a link.)

--
Ian.