[Catalyst] RFC: Sample press release and announcement homepage

Chris hutchinson.chris at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 11:27:42 GMT 2009

> You have to have an answer to the question 'if it's so great why have
> I never heard of it before?'  Particularly since the people you're
> aiming at (/. and digg readers) are exactly the people who judge the
> merits of something based on how much they hear about it.

Kudos to John for putting in the effort to put together this PR, but
my thoughts were pretty similar to Ian - it needs to immediately
address the question 'why should I care'. It probably doesn't matter
to newcomers that the project was coordinated by IRC/mailing
lists/etc.

Following Ian's structure:

* Here's Catalyst!

* Developers, Catalyst will make your life great because the
technology is amazing, adaptable, fun to work with because it's so
productive, and proven - look at all these high-profile projects using
Catalyst.

* If you haven't used Perl before, or haven't looked at it for a while
- time to look again. Perl is hot - Moose+Catalyst+DBIx::Class are
building the new web.

* Managers, Catalyst is the safe and obvious choice because the
technology is proven, robust, and your team will be highly productive
and can leverage power of CPAN (and look at these high-profile success
stories using Catalyst)

*  Catalyst (and Perl) has a vibrant and active community, lots of
support, and is going places. There are Catalyst books, websites,
blogs and forums - you should really jump on board.

* (Now you've captured attention, you can stick in some references to
the technical detail)

* "Catch the leading edge of successful web development - get
Catalyzed" etc, etc

Go for it John - make us wildly keen to find out more about Catalyst!

- Chris