[Catalyst] website member urls

John Romkey romkey at apocalypse.org
Wed Apr 29 21:21:53 GMT 2009

On Apr 29, 2009, at 4:52 PM, Charles wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 05:31:43PM -0300, Fernan Aguero wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 5:23 PM, Charles <cshtreck at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > I'd like someone w/ better catalyst-fu to recommend how I could
> implement
> > > urls for members a la myspace and youtube ( ie
> > >  http://websiteurl.com/ ) .
> > > There's got to be a better way that creating a seperate
> controller for each
> > > user.
> >
> > sub member : Regex('\S+') {
> >  my ($self, $c) = @_;
>
> Using Regex for that seems weird to me.
>
>   sub member : Chained(/) Args(1) {
>     my ($self, $c, $id) = @_;
>   }
> hans,
>
> This seems to work, although, i'd have to add logic to have this
> member controller  ignore the following types of urls
>
> http://websiteurl.com/signup
> http://websiteurl.com/members/ <= users see this as their url when
> logged in.

Not at all. You just add handlers for those URLs to your controller;
they're more specific than the member handler and should match.

sub signup : Chained('/') PathPart('signup') Args(0) {
}

Are you sure you want to layout your URLs that way, though? You'll
*never* need other top level items that might conflict with user
names? If you put all the users under /user (or something like that)
then they're in their own namespace and you won't have problems with
name conflicts.
	- john romkey
	http://www.romkey.com/