[Catalyst] RFC: no make install on catalyst apps

John Napiorkowski jjn1056 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 2 18:22:55 GMT 2009

----- Original Message ----

I was thinking 'config' since that is from the XDG specification, but obviously we'd
want to be confortable with it.  I actually blogged about this and my detailed
thoughts over at:

http://jjnapiorkowski.vox.com/library/post/rfc-non-code-data-directories-and-standards-for-catalyst.html

but the basic idea is that most of the installed 'non code data' (such as configuration
files, user changable templates, etc') go into ~/.config and ~/.local/share

alternatively, we could do what seems to be a very common thing for a lot of desktop
applications, which is to create a ~/.myapp directory and put everything in that that you
want locally controllable by the end user (the person who installs the app).

Something like that would help people with shared installation.  However
if it appears that it becomes more normal to use the local::lib installation
approach, well, that also solves a lot of similar problems.  I guess it's a matter
of what approach to installing catalyst application is going to be the best way.

john