[Catalyst] Why no extra attributes on Private actions?

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Mon Aug 17 13:57:20 GMT 2009

On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 10:40 AM, Bill Moseley <moseley at hank.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 4:28 PM, Eden Cardim <edencardim at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> > Is there a specific reason that Private actions may not have additional
>> > attributes?
>>
>> You can achieve the same effect by using the :Action tag instead, as
>> mst suggested in reply to the same thread:
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/catalyst@lists.scsys.co.uk/msg01413.html
>

> My question was *why* Private actions cannot have additional attributes?

I'm just after a bit more flexibility.  Perhaps that limitation could be
based on what dispatch types are available (i.e. don't allow Private with
any other dispatch types such as Path) which would allow user-defined
attributes on Private methods.   Perhaps a better question is if there is
any thought about only creating actions if the method has one or more of a
defined set of attributes instead of just any attribute?  I'm not clear if
the intent is that any method with attributes becomes an action or if only a
limited set of attributes should make a method an action.

Sorry, I know this is not a very important issues.  At work we have been
kicking around some ideas for a new ACL system that uses method attributes
and this limiation came up again.  But, it's easy to work around it.

Thanks,

-- =

Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org