[Catalyst] Why no extra attributes on Private actions?

Eden Cardim edencardim at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 15:14:53 GMT 2009

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 10:57 AM, Bill Moseley<moseley at hank.org> wrote:
> I'm just after a bit more flexibility.  Perhaps that limitation could be
> based on what dispatch types are available (i.e. don't allow Private with
> any other dispatch types such as Path) which would allow user-defined
> attributes on Private methods.   Perhaps a better question is if there is
> any thought about only creating actions if the method has one or more of a
> defined set of attributes instead of just any attribute?  I'm not clear if
> the intent is that any method with attributes becomes an action or if only a
> limited set of attributes should make a method an action.
> Sorry, I know this is not a very important issues.  At work we have been
> kicking around some ideas for a new ACL system that uses method attributes
> and this limiation came up again.  But, it's easy to work around it.

I don't understand your obsession over :Private. A method tagged with
:Action, or any other attribute that doesn't make it use one of the
available dispatch types is effectively *the same thing* as a Private
action, except it doesn't restrict the use of other attributes, is
this not what you want? Personally, I've dumped most uses of method
attributes altogether, in favor of the config-based scheme, except for
a few cases of chaining, so I'd vouch for dumping :Private as well.

--
   Eden Cardim       Need help with your Catalyst or DBIx::Class project?
  Code Monkey                    http://www.shadowcat.co.uk/catalyst/