[Catalyst] Apache + mod_perl + Digest-SHA fails

Ascii King tech at swattermatter.com
Wed Dec 16 19:12:59 GMT 2009

I have an Apache 2.2.14 server with mod-perl 2.0.4 and Catalyst 5.80015
on a Windows XP machine.

My system runs fine from the built-in Catalyst web server.  When I run
it through my Apache server, however it fails with the folowing error:

[info] NPC powered by Catalyst 5.80015
Free to wrong pool 760e18 not 26fe70 at C:/Perl/lib/Digest/SHA.pm line
63 during global destruction.
[Wed Dec 16 12:22:34 2009] [crit] (OS 6)The handle is invalid.  :
master_main: create child process failed. Exiting.

The Digest::SHA is used to handle the login, of course. I have used the
example from the tutorial.  Any ideas why this is occurring? If I remove
the call from the Schema/Result/Account.pm, it will run.

__PACKAGE__->add_columns(
    'password' => {
        data_type           => "TEXT",
        size                => undef,
        encode_column       => 1,
        encode_class        => 'Digest',
        encode_args         => {salt_length => 10},
        encode_check_method => 'check_password',
    },
};

I was going to switch to blowfish, but I keep getting a 'bad bcrypt
settings' error.  I read that it is for Unix only though, so I guess I
should have expected that.