[Catalyst] Re: decoding in core (Was: [Announce] Catalyst-Runtime-5.8000_05)

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Fri Feb 6 14:46:01 GMT 2009

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 11:44:57PM +0100, Aristotle Pagaltzis wrote:
> * Bill Moseley <moseley at hank.org> [2009-01-29 17:05]:
> > Neither of the existing plugins do it correctly (IMO), as
> > they only decode parameters leaving body_parameters as octets,
> > and don't look at the request for the charset, IIRC. […]
> > uri_for() rightly encodes to octets before escaping, but it
> > always encodes to utf-8. Is it assumed that query parameters
> > are always utf-8 or should they be decoded with the charset
> > specified in the request?
>
> The URI should always be assumed to be UTF-8 encoded octets.
> The body should be decoded according to the charset declared
> in the header by the browser.

Assume UTF-8 because that's how the application encoded the
URL in the first place?  Is UTF-8 specified in an RFC?  I thought it
URIs were defined as characters with ASCII encoding for transmitting.

Nobody responded to the main point of this email -- if Catalyst should
handle encoding in core instead of with a plugin.  Nobody has an
opinion about that?  Or is was it just ignored -- which is often how
people handle character encoding in applications. ;)

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org
Sent from my iMutt