[Catalyst] Re: decoding in core (Was: [Announce] Catalyst-Runtime-5.8000_05)

Tomas Doran bobtfish at bobtfish.net
Fri Feb 6 15:16:14 GMT 2009

On 6 Feb 2009, at 14:46, Bill Moseley wrote:
> Nobody responded to the main point of this email -- if Catalyst should
> handle encoding in core instead of with a plugin.  Nobody has an
> opinion about that?  Or is was it just ignored -- which is often how
> people handle character encoding in applications. ;)

Does it make a difference if its in core or in a plugin?

In your original email you said that the existing plugins don't do it
right.. Which is quite possibly fair criticism, however I don't see
how moving the functionality into core would help the code be more
correct.. Saying 'Plugin X is broken', 'Lets move Plugin X into core'
doesn't sound very convincing from where I'm sat. :_)

Code speaks louder than words, so if you'd like to provide some
failing tests for what you think encoding _should_ be doing, that'd
probably be a better basis for further discussion.

Cheers
t0m