[Catalyst] DBIx makes Catalyst startup painfully slow

Neo [GC] neo at gothic-chat.de
Tue Feb 10 11:25:13 GMT 2009

Nigel Metheringham schrieb:

> On 10 Feb 2009, at 10:53, Neo [GC] wrote:
>> Apart from Catalyst being really resource hungry, the startup time
>> for the application (testserver oder fastcgi) is ok, about 4 seconds
>> on my development-system (CentOS on VMware Fusion on MacOS X Leopard,
>> Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz). It's not perfect for developing, but it is
>> completely acceptable.
>
> What version of Centos?
> What perl are you using?
I don't think the reason is about the OS or version of Perl. We have
tried it with different versions of CentOS, Redhat Enterprise, SUSE
Enterprise, FreeBSD (with threaded and unthreaded perl) and even Windows
XP and 2003 Server: Same effect on every system. :(

>> But as soon as I activate my DBIx schemas, the startup time
>> multiplies: 12 seconds with my first (and most important) schema, 25
>> seconds when using all schemas.
>
> Have a look at this document (from a dev DBIC release):-
>

> http://search.cpan.org/~ribasushi/DBIx-Class-0.08099_06/lib/DBIx/Class/Manual/Troubleshooting.pod#Perl_Performance_Issues_on_Red_Hat_Systems
>
> or
>   http://tinyurl.com/cwb6tq   (look at Performance section at bottom).
Thanks, but my CentOS has exactly the stated perl version installed
(Perl 5.8.8 15.el5_2.1).

Regards,
Thomas Weber