[Catalyst] [OT] Catayst-ish PHP web framework?

Matt Pitts mpitts at a3its.com
Tue Feb 10 17:23:28 GMT 2009

Ok, I'll probably be banished for this, but my $work has decided to
officially support PHP (we're primarily M$, so this is a good thing) and
our first major app is a total cluster (aren't they all). The client is
on board with a rewrite, but I want to use a framework and I've been
decidedly out of the PHP seen, so I don't know what to use.

BTW, PHP is a requirement because the $boss wants us to actually _know_
php, not just how to rewrite it to Catalyst, boo hoo. So, no "just use
Catalyst" responses, sorry for bubble-bursting.

So, I'm thinking there's no better place, than Catalist, to ask about a
good PHP framework, that will make sense to a Catalyster.

I did the obligatory Googling and I'm liking Symfony w/ Doctrine as ORM,
right now, but I'm open to other suggestions.

Here are the things I'm looking for:

- actively maintained
- fairly strong history/production grade
- MVC based, or at least MVC-ish
- good ORM support (I'm used to DBIC)
- MySQL support in ORM
- ORM also needs to be flexible so it can be mapped to existing MySQL
tables (incremental rewrite)
- easiest to setup/install/deploy/maintain (if there is such a thing)
- dispatch-based with nice URLs and maybe even "chaining" like Catalyst
(not absolutely necessary, but a big plus)
- no fancy crap, just good ol' "web glue", like Catalyst

Oh, and Catalyst Rocks!(tm)

TIA
-matt pitts