[Catalyst] RFC: The paradox of choice in web development

Octavian Rasnita orasnita at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 06:37:01 GMT 2009

From: "Ashley" <apv at sedition.com>
> I know what you're saying and it's not without marketing merit but I
> argue it's only a good example for bad managers. A manager at a mid-
> sized or small company knows he/she cannot waste 10s of millions of
> dollars without tanking the company. Big companies can make huge
> mistakes, some of them do for years and years, and still clammer
> along through stored fat, sheer cash flow volume, 50-60 hour weeks
> over entire salaried departments, dropping permanent employees in
> favor of permatemps, etc. Good managers at this level are the sorts
> who are either on this list right now or have a dev or two on it for
> them. So I say. :)

Of course you are right, but it seems that you consider good managers only those that either have IT knowledge, or either delegate the responsability of deciding what to choose in this field to those who know. I also think that, but unfortunately there are incredibly many cases where the managers decide beeing based only on their own knowledge, and that knowledge in the IT field may come from media, from what they know from other managers, and not from what they studied.

With other words, we should try to beat them with their own arms.

Octavian