[Catalyst] RFC: The paradox of choice in web development

Ashley apv at sedition.com
Sun Feb 15 21:14:43 GMT 2009

On Feb 15, 2009, at 1:06 PM, Octavian Râsnita wrote:
> It might not be a good example for developers, but it surely is a
> good example for the managers.
>
> All the managers want to use the same tools used by the important
> companies, because they can trust the big companies much more than
> the smaller and unknown ones, and if they would hear that Google
> uses Catalyst, Ebay uses Catalyst, Amazon uses Catalyst, and
> successfully, they will trust Catalyst more.

I know what you're saying and it's not without marketing merit but I
argue it's only a good example for bad managers. A manager at a mid-
sized or small company knows he/she cannot waste 10s of millions of
dollars without tanking the company. Big companies can make huge
mistakes, some of them do for years and years, and still clammer
along through stored fat, sheer cash flow volume, 50-60 hour weeks
over entire salaried departments, dropping permanent employees in
favor of permatemps, etc. Good managers at this level are the sorts
who are either on this list right now or have a dev or two on it for
them. So I say. :)

-Ashley