[Catalyst] RFC: New to Catalyst questions

Dermot paikkos at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 16 20:55:57 GMT 2009

2009/2/16 Jay Kuri <jayk at ion0.com>:
> Hello,
>
> So all this 'too many choices' talk has got me thinking.  I'd like to
> put together some more web-available information for those
> transitioning to catalyst from other methods.
>
> To that end I'm soliciting your thoughts on things that you found
> particularly hard to get a grip on when you started using catalyst.
> (or that you are currently having trouble with)
>
> My intent is to pick the ones that are needed most and write them up
> (or sponsor).
>
> My working list is as follows (in no particular order.)
>
> 1) 'Getting' DBIx::Class (starting from a straight SQL-users point of
> view)
>
> 2) Basic Cat toolkit - the basic pieces you will want to produce your
> average web app.
>
> 3) Walkthrough of creation of a simple app end to end.
>
> Any others?

There is an article by Stas Bekman
(http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2002/05/07/mod_perl.html) entitled "The
Perl You Need To Know". The title of the article kept coming to me as
I began to plough through the Catalyst tutorials because Catalyst/DBIC
is OO. Everything I had done up to then was scripted/function
orientated. You might use the OO interface to CGI but the finished
product is esstenially a script. For me, the gulf was there.
Good luck,
Dp.