[Catalyst] RFC: New to Catalyst questions

Devin Austin devin.austin at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 20:43:47 GMT 2009

Well, people are going to want to know how Catalyst compares to *ahem*
others as far as AJAX goes, certainly REST, and app servers like nginx,
lighttpd, etc.

Also, best practices.  Walking beginning to end on an app is great, but a
lot of the newbies end up having to throw away a lot of their newly acquired
knowledge for what *should* be done.

Perhaps best practices is best left for a thread on its own, but I think it
should somehow be addressed.

How about how Catalyst interacts with caching components/technologies? I'm
just trying to think of production level necessities that we'll want to
advertise to newcomers/defectors.

Any of these sound legitimate?

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Jay Kuri <jayk at ion0.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> So all this 'too many choices' talk has got me thinking.  I'd like to
> put together some more web-available information for those
> transitioning to catalyst from other methods.
>
> To that end I'm soliciting your thoughts on things that you found
> particularly hard to get a grip on when you started using catalyst.
> (or that you are currently having trouble with)
>
> My intent is to pick the ones that are needed most and write them up
> (or sponsor).
>
> My working list is as follows (in no particular order.)
>
> 1) 'Getting' DBIx::Class (starting from a straight SQL-users point of
> view)
>
> 2) Basic Cat toolkit - the basic pieces you will want to produce your
> average web app.
>
> 3) Walkthrough of creation of a simple app end to end.
>
> Any others?
>
> Jay

> Searchable archive:

-- =