[Catalyst] RFC: New to Catalyst questions

Kieren Diment diment at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 22:16:54 GMT 2009

On 17/02/2009, at 8:01 AM, Octavian Râsnita wrote:

> Good idea.
>
> I think that many beginners find hard to learn Catalyst if they are
> coming from another framework, or even worse, from CGI.pm, because
> right after they begin, they need to learn DBIx::Class, Template-
> Toolkit, YAML or Config::General, and they might not understand very
> fast if a certain piece of text is a Catalyst code, or a DBIC one or
> something else.

[snip useful description ]

I would be very happy to recommend an approach such as this for the
book, if someone wants to have it written by mid april (when the final
first draft is done).  Chapter three is a little like this, only we
have a (non-database) model and view (very simple TT) straight away.
Spoonfeeding like this isn't going to go into the book as space is
limited and we have to get to the intermediate / advanced stuff quite
quickly.  But, a tutorial with this structure would be good and I'd
support it going into Catalyst::Manual::Tutuorial as
Catalyst::Manual::Tutorial::Beginner or something.