[Catalyst] New version of InstantCRUD

Zbigniew Lukasiak zzbbyy at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 20:05:13 GMT 2009

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 7:48 PM, Alexander Hartmaier
<alexander.hartmaier at t-systems.at> wrote:
> Would be great if we could combine our efforts instead of creating even
> more choices for the users of cat in form of InstantCRUD,
> Controller::DBIC::API and so on
> (http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/wiki/crud).

Sure.  Let me only point out that InstantCRUD was one of the first
(published just after Enzyme).  But this idea of combining efforts is
what lead me when starting that wiki page.  I am open for
collaboration, I've already started figuring out what can be done with
Peter Karman (of CatalystX::CRUD).  For me his approach is a bit too
heavy - it requires too much knowledge of his libraries to extend the
controller using it - it wraps the model into it's own abstractions
(CatalystX::CRUD::Iterator, CatalystX::CRUD::Model ) - while I believe
that it should be possible to have the CRUD as an add-on and let the
user work with his original Model.   I updated my work to try out this
- and also show the others what I really mean.  I've also looked into
other CRUDs - but I have not yet found one satisfying my requirements.
For example
CatalystX-ListFramework-Builder-0.41 is great - but it is not a
scaffolding, CatalystX::ListFramework is nice but is not REST-like,
Catalyst::Controller::DBIC::API is very close to what I need - and I
plan base my future work on it but for now there is some problem with
multiple inheritance in Catalyst Controllers that make it incompatible
with my approach, I hope that when we get the Moose version of
Catalyst this problem will go away. And I hope that then the base
controller will become a Moose role instead for greater flexibility.

In short  I am open for collaboration - but I found it difficult to
express my expectations for the library without writing my own code.

--
Zbigniew Lukasiak
http://brudnopis.blogspot.com/