[Catalyst] New version of InstantCRUD

Peter Karman peter at peknet.com
Tue Feb 17 21:39:28 GMT 2009

Zbigniew Lukasiak wrote on 02/17/2009 02:05 PM:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 7:48 PM, Alexander Hartmaier
> <alexander.hartmaier at t-systems.at> wrote:
>> Would be great if we could combine our efforts instead of creating even
>> more choices for the users of cat in form of InstantCRUD,
>> Controller::DBIC::API and so on
>> (http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/wiki/crud).
>
> Sure.  Let me only point out that InstantCRUD was one of the first
> (published just after Enzyme).  But this idea of combining efforts is
> what lead me when starting that wiki page.  I am open for
> collaboration, I've already started figuring out what can be done with
> Peter Karman (of CatalystX::CRUD).  For me his approach is a bit too
> heavy - it requires too much knowledge of his libraries to extend the
> controller using it - it wraps the model into it's own abstractions
> (CatalystX::CRUD::Iterator, CatalystX::CRUD::Model ) - while I believe
> that it should be possible to have the CRUD as an add-on and let the
> user work with his original Model.   I updated my work to try out this
> - and also show the others what I really mean.

And Zbigniew's feedback led to the development of
http://search.cpan.org/dist/CatalystX-CRUD-ModelAdapter-DBIC/
for which I thank him.

CatalystX::CRUD has different aims than InstantCRUD. It's an API rather
than a scaffolding generator. All the projects on that wiki page are
trying to solve specific problems. The problem CXCRUD was trying to
solve was how to let RDBO, DBIC, modelX, etc, play nicely with RHTMLO,
FormFu, etc.

As for whether it is "too heavy" or complicated, I agree that the docs
and examples could use work. But then, that seems to be a common
complaint for even the most useful of CPAN code.

--
Peter Karman  .  peter at peknet.com  .  http://peknet.com/