[Catalyst] RFC: The paradox of choice in web development

Matt Pitts mpitts at a3its.com
Thu Feb 19 15:12:36 GMT 2009

Sad to say, but I completely agree with this. It's quite ironic how the
drive of open source has only furthered the need for OS agnostic
software and platforms, which in turn, has actually made life harder for
things like Perl that have strong origins in *nix OSes.

"Oh yeah, we love Linux as a platform for its [list of goodies], but we
can't ask our day-to-day workforce to switch desktops, so we need OS
agnostic platforms that we can build in Windows and deploy in Linux."
Seems to be the credo echoing from the business world.

I myself am currently trying to support multiple developers (content &
perl) working on a Catalyst app from Windows desktops and it's been a
bit of a process. Cygwin seems to be providing the best solution right
now, but Cgywin Perl fork()ing breaks frequently for me in Vista, so no
HTTP::Prefork, which makes development much, much slower.

I really, really want to be able to "just run" my Cat apps in Windows,
and I probably could get it going under ActiveState or Strawberry if I
stuck to it, but I _need_ it to not be that hard. I'm sure I'm not the
only one.

In today's world of software that is cross-platform and OS agnostic at
its core, Perl 5 is showing its age. Still love it though.

v/r
-matt pitts