[Catalyst] RFC: The paradox of choice in web development

Cosimo Streppone cosimo at streppone.it
Thu Feb 19 15:29:36 GMT 2009

In data 19 februar 2009 alle ore 16:12:36, Matt Pitts <mpitts at a3its.com> ha scritto:

>> I think that the success of other languages, especially Python is also
>> due to the fact that they support better Windows than Perl.
>> [...]

> Sad to say, but I completely agree with this. It's quite ironic how the
> drive of open source has only furthered the need for OS agnostic
> software and platforms, which in turn, has actually made life harder for
> things like Perl that have strong origins in *nix OSes.
>
> [...]

> I really, really want to be able to "just run" my Cat apps in Windows,
> and I probably could get it going under ActiveState or Strawberry if I
> stuck to it

Does that mean that you haven't tried?

> but I _need_ it to not be that hard. I'm sure I'm not the
> only one.

It's _not_ that hard.
Perl has been good in the Windows world for long.
Strawberry has improved this a great deal.

Perl on Windows runs most of CPAN without problems.
And yes, I sent my small amount of patches too, whenever
it hurt me.

Perl fully supports building on MSVC from 6 to 2008,
and Win32 GCC.

> In today's world of software that is cross-platform and OS agnostic at
> its core, Perl 5 is showing its age.

Cross-platform is one point where Perl excelled, and
I think it's still very strong.

Then if WxPerl is not developed as WxPython is not Perl's fault.

--
Cosimo