[Catalyst] windows install issues (Was: RFC: New to Catalystquestions)

Octavian Râsnita orasnita at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 16:16:02 GMT 2009

From: Rodrigo =

  > Oops, ok, sorry, I thought you had Strawberry. Last year I swapped all =
things "Active" for Strawberry Perl.
  > =

  > In any case, maybe you can tinker with the ActivePerl cpan Config.pm so=
 that it uses the MinGW compiler and the Strawberry cpan settings. The =

  > idea would be to make ActivePerl compile its modules using the Strawber=
ry config settings.Don't know if that would work. =

  > =

  > Another way (if don't want to switch to strawberry flavored perl) is to=
 just install Strawberry, then edit your PATH and strip off all c:\strawber=
ry\... =

  > directories so that it won't disturb your ActivePerl installation. Then=
 create a little bat file that will give you a "strawberry prompt". Install=
 modules with > strawberry cpan, then copy them from strawberry\perl\site (=
and auto) into ActivePerl's \site directories.

  I've tried to use Strawberry Perl, but I've seen that I can't install som=
e modules on it.

  I needed to install MIME::Tools by downloading the package manually, and =
doing perl Makefile.PL, dmake, skip dmake test and do only dmake install, b=
ecause I couldn't do it using cpan. On the dmake test, it freezes on a cert=
ain test.

  I also couldn't install DBD::mysql, even though I've also tried without c=
pan, because on dmake it gives some errors I don't understand, even though =
I've added all those directories which perl Makefile.PL needs.

  I have also tried to install WxPerl with it, but without success.

  I've seen that the ppm it uses seems to be either very old or a different=
 kind than that used by Activeperl because it seems to have less features.

  From this point of view, Perl is not a very good language for Windows bec=
ause it is hard to adapt the modules that work fine under other systems.

  Octavian