[Catalyst] windows install issues (Was: RFC: New to Catalystquestions)

Rodrigo rodrigolive at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 17:13:02 GMT 2009

> I've tried to use Strawberry Perl, but I've seen that I can't install some
> modules on it.
>
> I needed to install MIME::Tools by downloading the package manually, and
> doing perl Makefile.PL, dmake, skip dmake test and do only dmake install,
> because I couldn't do it using cpan. On the dmake test, it freezes on a
> certain test.

Strange, MIME::Tools is another module that installs fine in my Strawberry
5.10.0.0. No freezing on tests. Make sure that, if you're going to install
things manually, use the command "look" to get the correct build
environment:

cpan> look MIME::Tools

> I also couldn't install DBD::mysql, even though I've also tried without
> cpan, because on dmake it gives some errors I don't understand, even thou=
gh
> I've added all those directories which perl Makefile.PL needs.
>

> I have also tried to install WxPerl with it, but without success.
>
> Another strange one... WxWidgets is one of Strawberry star installations
for the October2008 release.

http://strawberryperl.com/releases.html

I don't develop for Wx, but I installed it (and Tk) successfully in
Strawberry with cpan.

DBD::mysql needs the mysql source code to link to. That's a good candidate
for ppm.

> I've seen that the ppm it uses seems to be either very old or a different
> kind than that used by Activeperl because it seems to have less features.
>

> The strawberry ppm has given me problems also. That's supposed to be one =
of
the improvements in the latest Strawberry Jan 2009, but I haven't tried so
far.

> From this point of view, Perl is not a very good language for Windows
> because it is hard to adapt the modules that work fine under other system=
s.

> I agree that perl and cpan modules favor posix features, such as fork(),
and that's a no-go for windows. I just try to avoid those by using no-posix
modules. I use ppms for tough to install modules, sometimes unzipping them
straight into c:\strawberry\perl\site\lib if the ppm installer is not
working well, which has been the case for strawberry lately.

--rodrigo