[Catalyst] Requirements for Catalyst

Andrew Rodland arodland at comcast.net
Sat Feb 21 23:30:19 GMT 2009

On Saturday 21 February 2009 05:04:54 pm Jonathan Rockway wrote:
> * On Sat, Feb 21 2009, Octavian Râşniţă wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > It is very clear that a Catalyst app can't run on a shared host, but
> > it requires either a dedicated server or a VPS.
> > I am searching for web space providers that offer VPS and I've seen
> > that they use to set their tariff plans mainly on the guaranteed
> > memory, but I don't know which would be the necessary memory for a VPS
> > that runs an OS like Fedora or CentOS, Apache, Perl and Catalyst.
> >
> > Could be 256 MB of memory enough? Or 512? Or I would need 1 GB or more
> > if I would like to run a Catalyst app?
>
> We run lots of Catalyst apps on the smallest Linode.  I think they give
> us something like 340M of RAM.  This is enough.
>
> I use a 512M Slicehost for jrock.us, which runs my mail server and a few
> Catalyst applications.
>
> Anyway, nearly every VPS provider I know of lets you add more memory
> easily.  Buy the small one, and if you need more memory, upgrade.

Seconded. I run prod stuff for $WORK on Xen VMs with 512MB of RAM. Light-duty
stuff should work well enough on 256MB and Linode's 360 deal is just about
ideal. And any _good_ provider should let you instantly add more RAM with
nothing more than a reboot, and prorate the bill appropriately, so growing
shouldn't be a huge source of concern.

Andrew