[Catalyst] Requirements for Catalyst

Jonathan Rockway jon at jrock.us
Sat Feb 21 23:04:54 GMT 2009

* On Sat, Feb 21 2009, Octavian Râşniţă wrote:
> Hello,
>
> It is very clear that a Catalyst app can't run on a shared host, but
> it requires either a dedicated server or a VPS.
> I am searching for web space providers that offer VPS and I've seen
> that they use to set their tariff plans mainly on the guaranteed
> memory, but I don't know which would be the necessary memory for a VPS
> that runs an OS like Fedora or CentOS, Apache, Perl and Catalyst.
>
> Could be 256 MB of memory enough? Or 512? Or I would need 1 GB or more
> if I would like to run a Catalyst app?

We run lots of Catalyst apps on the smallest Linode.  I think they give
us something like 340M of RAM.  This is enough.

I use a 512M Slicehost for jrock.us, which runs my mail server and a few
Catalyst applications.

Anyway, nearly every VPS provider I know of lets you add more memory
easily.  Buy the small one, and if you need more memory, upgrade.

Regards,
Jonathan Rockway