[Catalyst] OpenID and SREG

Trevor Phillips trevor.phillips at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 09:43:59 GMT 2009

On Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 2:02 PM, Ashley<apv at sedition.com> wrote:

> The configuration examples are bad. Menno Blom provided the patch to support
> the stuff and I documented it incorrectly. I'm really sorry about this; it's
> been this way for a long time. I've been trying just this week to get a new
> release but I was also trying to run deeper tests to make sure I don't make
> another faux pas and I've been having problems getting them together and
> LWPx::ParanoidAgent is still broken and my excuse machine is on the fritz.

Thanks. I'm surprised there isn't more interest in maturing the OpenID
support. I think it has a lot of potential for easing registration &
authentication for a lot of web apps.

Are you referring to LWPx::ParanoidAgent exploding when a bad Identity
URL is given? I tried using eval to get around it but that seems to
clash with the rest of the workings of your library.

> The snippet below (unedited, it's better to not use the config->{} =
> assignment idiom) is from a recent report from Orlando Vazquez who got it
> running in spite of the bad doc. There was also an issue with
> Config::General being a PITA regarding the data structure so you might want
> to start with a pure Perl config and if it runs, then put it into your
> favored config file format.

[snip]
>>             ### need this to get registration fields
>>             extensions => {
>>                'http://openid.net/extensions/sreg/1.1' => 1
>>             },

This was the missing link! I can now chuck this in my test app:
   $c->stash->{sreg} =
$c->user->extensions->{'http://openid.net/extensions/sreg/1.1'};
...and access sreg properties from the templates. Yay!

Disappointingly, it looks like many providers don't offer SREG details
- Google, Yahoo, LiveJournal didn't return anything. MyOpenID did
though.

Ideally, I'd like to store a local profile for a user, using OpenID
for Auth, and SREG for initial/default field population when
available. I'd rather use a ID and username created & tracked
internally, though, and just use the OpenID for auth.

--
Trevor Phillips  - http://dortamur.livejournal.com/
"On nights such as this, evil deeds are done. And good deeds, of