[Catalyst] Switching to a production server

kakimoto at tpg.com.au kakimoto at tpg.com.au
Wed Jul 15 12:06:05 GMT 2009

hello. Emily,

 how is your catalyst app now? Is it running smoothly with FastCGI?

thanks

K. akimoto

Re: [Catalyst] Switching to a production server

ivorw
Tue, 16 Sep 2008 12:53:47 -0700

Emily Heureux wrote:
> Thanks, I read your suggestions and opinions and am switching to fastcgi
> with apache.  I'd like to do this in steps:
> 1. Install FCGI::ProcManager
> 2. Run myapp_fastcgi.pl from the command line, just like myapp_server.pl
> 3. Then go through apache with mod_fastcgi.
>
> I am on step 2, and I am thinking that I can't do that with that fastcgi
> script like I can with myapp_server.pl.  I need to combine 2 and 3?

I would do 3 before 2. Configure Apache to be ready to handle a fastcgi
connection through a socket (from the docs):

    FastCgiExternalServer /tmp/myapp.fcgi -socket /tmp/myapp.socket
    Alias /myapp/ /tmp/myapp/myapp.fcgi/

    # Or, run at the root
    Alias / /tmp/myapp.fcgi/

    # Optionally, rewrite the path when accessed without a trailing slash
    RewriteRule ^/myapp$ myapp/ [R]

Now having reloaded or restarted Apache2, you should be in a position to
point a browser at the new application, and get a 500 error page. The
logs should be able to tell you whether your Apache configuration is
doing the right thing.