Fwd: [Catalyst] RFC: no make install on catalyst apps

Jeremiah C. Foster jeremiah at jeremiahfoster.com
Tue Jul 28 13:48:22 GMT 2009

O HAI!

The debian-perl team has built packages for Catalyst to allow debian
users easy installation and quality assurance. The addition of the
proposed installation code in Catalyst would break current apps and
would most likely be removed by debian / ubuntu because it
fundamentally interferes with a user's stated wishes. When a user
calls "aptitude install catalyst" they explicitly want catalyst
installed and not a message saying "are you sure you want to install
catalyst?"

Personally, I greatly prefer the UNIX philosophy of "silence equals
success," and would not welcome any notification around installation.

Regards,

Jeremiah