[Catalyst] 5.80005: $c->req->remote_user and apache: excluding actions from authentication

Francesc Romà i Frigolé francesc.roma+catalyst at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 15:52:58 GMT 2009

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 5:33 PM, Tomas Doran <bobtfish at bobtfish.net> wrote:

> Francesc Rom=E0 i Frigol=E9 wrote:
>
>> The applications I'm writing are expected to have a relatively small
>> number of users. From my experience so far the performance is quite good=
 on
>> a shared hosting as long as I serve the static content from outside
>> Catalyst. Otherwise performance degrades significantly since each user h=
as
>> to deal with a few static files that weight a few MB each.
>>

> Hmm, well, this strikes me as weird.
>
> I have a 100Mb link (shared with other people) between myself and my live
> environment, and I thought I'd do a very quick test.
>
> I tarred up 182Mb of crap.
>
> Static apache: 11.19M/s
>
> Put into a newly generated TestApp in root/static, running with the
> development server: 11.18M/s
>
> So I think you're doing something severely non-optimum (or your shared
> hosting machines are totally swamped) if you're seeing significant
> performance degredation.
>
> Do you see the same issues when testing locally, or just and your shared
> host, and what technique are you using to serve these static files?

Thanks for taking the time for testing this. I did my tests some months ago
with smaller files (1-5 MB) and I don't remember the exact results now, but
I clearly remember that it made a very significant difference. Both
perceptually and numerically. Since the deployment documentation recommends
not serving static files with catalyst I assumed it was normal.

I won't have time today, but I tomorrow I'll do more tests and report the
results

cheers
Francesc