[Catalyst] 5.80005: $c->req->remote_user and apache: excluding actions from authentication

Tomas Doran bobtfish at bobtfish.net
Wed Jun 10 16:13:26 GMT 2009

Francesc Romà i Frigolé wrote:
> I did my tests some months
> ago with smaller files (1-5 MB) and I don't remember the exact results
> now, but I clearly remember that it made a very significant difference.

Hmm, well, with smaller files you have tcp slow start, and other effects
that can cloud your results - you specifically mentioned throughput, so
I tested with a fairly large file to eliminate those effects :)

> Both perceptually and numerically. Since the deployment documentation
> recommends not serving static files with catalyst I assumed it was normal.

I'd still recommend serving your CSS/JS/icons directly through apache,
it is more efficient.

But for things like document downloads with access control etc, then
just using:

http://search.cpan.org/~flora/Catalyst-Plugin-Static-Simple-0.21/lib/Catalyst/Plugin/Static/Simple.pm#serve_static_file_$file_path

very much works 'well enough' until you have lots (10s) of concurrent
downloads.

Cheers
t0m