[Catalyst] root dir location

Tomas Doran bobtfish at bobtfish.net
Thu Jun 18 09:16:16 GMT 2009

Ben Vinnerd wrote:
> On 18/06/09 08:51, Tomas Doran wrote:
>> At a guess, you deleted your Makefile.PL?
>>

> Yes :O
>
> I didn't really want to bother with make on my webapp, so deleted that
> along with Changes and README.

Yeah, that'd get you.

The lines in the generated Makefile.PL which say:

# IMPORTANT: if you delete this file your app will not work as
# expected.  You have been warned.

Are, actually, not lies.

Catalyst uses the presence of a Makefile.PL to work out if your
application has actually been installed, or if it is just running from a
checkout.

I totally see the 'I will never install' point of make being unneeded,
but I personally like the possibility that I may one day run my apps
somewhere other than my laptop (or, maybe I'll even buy a less crappy
laptop). So keeping the dependencies in Makefile.PL up to date is a very
worthwhile exercise; you can then just copy your app to another machine
and say 'make installdeps', rather than suffer half an hour's
frustration trying to start your app and failing.

Cheers
t0m