[Catalyst] How to use local::lib

Tobias Kremer tobias.kremer at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 15:43:23 GMT 2009

After reading about local::lib and thinking that it's too good to be
true, I just had to try it out as a possible deployment method for one
of our apps. I have the app and all dependencies running on my
development box. The prerequisites are specified in my app's
Makefile.PL. Now, after having bootstrapped local::lib, I ran the
following commands - as suggested by t0m in a recent thread - but
nothing happens because all required modules are already installed in
my system-wide CPAN directory in their correct versions:

$ eval $(perl -I$HOME/perl5/lib/perl5 -Mlocal::lib=--self-contained,local_lib)
$ make installdeps

Am I missing something here or do I really have to checkout my app on
a fresh installation with no prerequisites installed and try the above
there?

Also, am I right that this method won't work for XS-based modules if
I'm building my local_lib, say on a Ubuntu system, while the
production system is Debian-based?

Thanks a lot for any hints!

--Tobias