[Catalyst] Re: OT: JS no longer sucks, (was Catalyst - any good AJAX tutes?)

Ashley apv at sedition.com
Sun Mar 8 18:08:44 GMT 2009

On Mar 8, 2009, at 8:18 AM, Aristotle Pagaltzis wrote:
> * Ashley <apv at sedition.com> [2009-03-07 22:20]:
>> I used to feel the same about JS. The language itself has improved
>
> Objection:

Well... the lack of regular array operations like push, the
disparate and incompatible implementations of regular
expressions, some still current syntax disparities like
trailing commas or reserved keyword treatment, the errors
constantly shutting down browsers, operators behaving
differently.

I suppose I get what you mean, the spec didn't suck, the
implementations did. But we were discussing usage, not
design theory. :)

> * <http://fishbowl.pastiche.org/2009/02/20/the_dom_stigma/>
>> When recommending jQuery to co-workers, friends, random
>> passers-by and the occasional hobo (as I have been wont to do
>> recently) I have tended to summarize its merit as “it makes
>> Javascript not suck.” Which is rubbish. Javascript has always
>> been perfectly cromulent. What jQuery does is make the DOM API
>> not suck.

++ to the quoted for the use of cromulent.