[Catalyst] Re: OT: JS no longer sucks, (was Catalyst - any good AJAX tutes?)

Aristotle Pagaltzis pagaltzis at gmx.de
Sun Mar 8 20:35:38 GMT 2009

* Ashley <apv at sedition.com> [2009-03-08 19:15]:
> Well... the lack of regular array operations like push

Are we talking about the same language?
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Core_JavaScript_1.5_Reference/Global_Objects/Array/push

> the disparate and incompatible implementations of regular
> expressions

Have yet to run into any. Are you sure you’re trying to use
only ECMAScript standard features?

> some still current syntax disparities like trailing commas
> or reserved keyword treatment

Yes, IE 6 is old and backward. :-)

> the errors constantly shutting down browsers

Huh?

> operators behaving differently.

Again with the huh…

> I suppose I get what you mean, the spec didn't suck, the
> implementations did. But we were discussing usage, not design
> theory. :)

Actually, the spec does suck in various ways, but not too badly,
and the implementations are reasonably consistent nowadays – at
least if you exclude IE 6, which is largely in line with modern
browsers but has a bunch of annoying quirks like the trailing
comma stupidity.

> ++ to the quoted for the use of cromulent.

That was actually part of the reason I quoted it… :-)

Regards,