[Catalyst] Slow fastcgi

Joel Bernstein joel at fysh.org
Mon May 4 10:21:03 GMT 2009

On 4 May 2009, at 09:19, Octavian Rasnita wrote:
> I have started using fastcgi with a Catalyst app, using it as an
> external server, but I've seen that it works very slow and many
> requests give a timeout error and display a 500 error because of this.
> [snip]
> Here is the configuration for the worker MPM which I use now. I used
> it when I was using mod_perl too, but it worked much more faster
> (without using another front-end server).
>
> <IfModule prefork.c>
> StartServers       8
> MinSpareServers    5
> MaxSpareServers   10
> ServerLimit  56
> MaxClients       56
> MaxRequestsPerChild  1000
> </IfModule>
>
> Please give me some hints about what I could configure to make
> fastcgi work better.

What are you requesting? How long does it take? How many parallel
requests and how is this affecting response time? What are you using
to measure? How long does the same request load take when you deploy
the identical app on mod_perl? Is mod_perl loaded into the Apache that
you use to proxy to the FastCgiExternalServer? Does your machine have
adequate RAM for the Apaches and the Perl processes? Please give lots
more detail about your performance observations and we may be able to
better advise how to tune Apache etc. Currently without any numbers
it's far too vague, and we need to remove some of the possible
variables (or at least sanity-check them) to narrow down the problem
scope.

/joel