[Catalyst] My experience porting to CataMoose

Daisuke Maki daisuke at endeworks.jp
Tue May 12 22:21:19 GMT 2009

>> 2. Hooking to methods that Plugins use via method modifiers breaks
>> method dispatch
>>
>> I got bit by this while depending on Catalyst::Plugin::Unicode, and
>> trying to hook a custom error handling mechanism at finalize().
>
> <snip explanation>
>
> Hmm, that certainally looks like a bug to me..
>
> Any chance that I could get you to write a test case or two for this issue?

I get it now, it has to do with when setup() and method modifiers run:

  package MyApp;

  before finalize => sub { .... };

  __PACKAGE__->setup( ... );

fails, but

  package MyApp;

  __PACKAGE__->setup( ... );
  before finalize => sub { .... };

works.

looks to me like a "Common gotchas" documentation.

  If you intend to use Moose's method modifiers in your app, do so
  /AFTER/ Catalyst->setup has been called.

or some such

--d